Question
Posted by: BMJ | 2010/08/16

What can this be

Hi dr Bets

For the last 2-3 months I have had very mild, but persistant LEFT upper abdominal discomfort as well as constant nausea. I dont vomit, my stools are normal. The pain is just under my ribcage to the left and radiates to my side and back. My back feels sore all the time. It seems worse about 30-40min after eating and worse in the late afternoon. I dont have a urine infection - did check and had a sonar of my abdoman - clear. I dont have reflux or heartburn. The dr gave me tablets to switch off the acid pump but it made no difference.

I am not in pain - just uncomfortable and nauseas - not pregnant, had hysterectomy. It also seems worse if I sit or lean forward.

Any ideas on what this could be? I am 39, non smoker, healthy on Evoral 50mg. Only about 10kgs overweight.

Hallo BMJ
It sounds as if your doctor looked at the most obvious causes but I think one should also maybe do an examination for chronic pancreatitis (blood tests) and as a last resort do a gastroscopy as peptic ulcers may cause referred pain to the back and side. He may not have thought about this as it seems as if you live a healthy lifestyle and have no obvious risk factors, but in rare cases it can be caused by auto immune disease, high calcium levels or high lipid levels or even some medicines or an injury.
See http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/pancreatitis/#chronic

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/08/16

Hallo BMJ