Question
Posted by: Hurting | 2012/02/28

What can the problem be

am going through difficult situation, I tried so much to study and better myself, but it didn’ t really happen as I thought. My problem is I registered for HR Diploma at UNISA, again tried for Project Management, but for both didn’ t finish. I then tried for Project Management at a Private Professor and my test marks were so low even though I tried so much, I remember crying so much after receiving my results in front of other students and I just went home and slept, mind you I am 36 years old, having a 13 year old daughter, my child is so bright at school and her marks are always around 92% and above. What course can I really try, I am tired of working as a secretary for 10 years now, though the money is good, but I am not growing myself, what can I do. I want to reach 40 having a better career. When I was studying, every time I tried to read and I will have this bad headaches and I stopped. Anything to better myself will do, or maybe go and start my own business will do me well. I am just so worried and embarrassed by myself.

You didn't say why you didn't finish either course. One may work hard, but if the course doesn't suit your interests and abilities, you may fail. But when you say didn't finish, that sounds like just giving up.
Maybe it'd be a good idea for you to arrange to see a suitable psychologist ( not all do this ) who can give you a wide range of tests of your intersts and various abilities, and advise you on what you might be really good at ( and it might not be the fields you have chosen so far ).
You may also need help ( UNISA ought to provide study counsellors ) to learn to learn, to get back into the habits of studying, which one soon forgets after leaving school.
Maybe the bad headaches when you try to read are because of tension, and your worrying too much about the course. A psychologist or counsellor could also help you to learn to relax when you need to, and this will also aid your studies.
Dont rush off to start your own business - that's in no way an easier option, and many people fail at that too, and it can be much more expensive. Unless one has real talents in a specific field of business, AND real experience gained while working for someone else, people very rarely make a success out of starting their own business.

3
Posted by: Hurting | 2012/02/29

Thanks to both of you, what I did yesterday Sisi is to dowload the Unisa short course info on PR, and its a six months course. I will go for it and keep on trying for more. I am really good at my work but maybe I feel like a loser seeing people younger than me climbing the ladder and now I feeling like I waisted opportunity at hand, where I work they pay for studies and I am not doing anything about it. I will settle for short courses and see how it goes, i just wish to be in the bigger earning bracket as well. Thanks for the motivation.

Reply to Hurting
Posted by: Sisi | 2012/02/29

You seem to be undermining being a secretary. This is a wonderful profession but of course you need to appreciate it and be passionate about it for others to respect and appreciate your role. I''ve been a secretary for more than 20 years and still going strong. I''ve done a lot of studying and short course e.g. PR, Project management, etc and I incorporated that knowledge here and all works wonderfully especially because the pay is good. U need to realize your value and pivotal role in your organisation. Pls try to understand why the profession is relevant and the emerging roles that are required of a secretary in today’ s global environment. Don''t be hard on yourself. Good luck.

Reply to Sisi