Question
Posted by: Rose | 2009-07-31

What can i expect

Am having egg retrieval next week and then embryo transfer about 3 days later. What can i expect afterwards? Any pain/bleeding/discharge etc. How long should i rest for after the transfer? and when will i be able to go back to work? Thank you!

Dear Rose

The answer is rather difficult in that different patients would react differently depending on the number of follicles that have developed and the amount of stimulation that was used. However in general a very short period of strict bed rest immediately after the embryo transfer (anything between 10-30 minutes) is more than sufficient. You may be able to return to work the very next day without any undue consequence in our experience. However should there be severe pain or abdominal distension or shortness of breath within 5-7 days of the transfer I would suggest that you contact the gynaecologist, as this may be a warning sign of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. There should be no bleeding at the time or immediately after embryo transfer.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim