Question
Posted by: Lin | 2008/09/10

What can I expect

Hi Can anyone tell me what can I expect when I go for my first visit to a fertility specialist?

Dear Lin

A good history and physical examination together with an ultrasound scan as well as a series of blood test maybe performed at first visit. In some centers such as ours we indicated a briefing with a clinical psychologist is frequently recommended but is not compulsory. A pap smear and other gynaecological evaluations may also form part of the first visit evaluation.

Answered by: Dr.M.I.Cassim

1
Posted by: maxi | 2008/09/11

My gynae wrote a report of my history, and gave me copies of blood tests etc of both myself and my husband. Also the results of his sperm test.
That helped a lot as the fert spec did not feel it was necessary to do all the test again, but I guess it depends on the circumstances. After explaining to her our history etc we spoke about the various options and related costs. She had some " flipcharts"  explaining the different processes etc to help us decide.
Good luck!

Reply to maxi