Question
Posted by: risha | 2008/07/28

what can i do to make her eat

hi i would like to know if there is a way to make my daughter eat she just refuses to eat any food.but she likes sweets and junk food.

Dear Risha
All children will prefer to eat sweets and junk food if they are exposed to them. You don't mention how old your daughter is, but if she is a toddler or a schoolchild then you need to sit her down and tell her that sweets and junk food are unhealthy and will not make her grow properly. Point out that she needs to eat proper food like the grownups and that sweets and junk food are going to be limited to treats (don't specify when these treats will happen and only allow them at random not more than once a week). Ask her to join you and the family at each meal, serve her small portions of the foods you have prepared and then ignore her while the rest of you proceed to eat your meal. Young children often use food refusal as a means of drawing the attention of the parents or other family members. If she does not eat, don't fuss, just say, "Well, I hope you won't be hungry!" and continue in this way until she realises that she cannot control you by refusing to eat. Make quite sure that other members of the family don't sabotage your attempts to get her to eat normally. Also reassure her of your love and give her lots of attention, so that she does not have to resort to food refusal to obtain them. A calm, kind attitude should solve the problem rapidly without your child going hungry. If she still refuses to eat normal food after 3 days you may have to take her to a Paediatric psychologist to determine if her refusal to eat food is due to deeper lying insecurities. The psychologist will advise what treatment is required.
Holding thumbs for all of you

2
Posted by: Nicky-Neo | 2008/08/28

My Girl friend does not not like eating and she is suffering from abdominal pains and vomiting, this has been happening for the past two and half months.

She has been to the doctor, got few pills and blood tests were taken. All results are showing no negative signs or any things like pregnancy. She been told to start eating but still does not eat much.

How do I help her?

Reply to Nicky-Neo
Posted by: Anon* | 2008/07/29

Lead by example - she eats what YOU eat

Say NO and mean it - just don`t YOU buy it for her

Make health food availble and throw away junk food in the
cupboards, if she is hungry enough she will eventually
eat and taste that healthy food is not bad tasting - a little
tough love

Reply to Anon*