Question
Posted by: Disconnected | 2010-10-05

What can I do to feel less disconnected?

Hi. I suffer from depression and GAD. I have been feeling really bad the last few weeks (disconnected/spaced out/unreal.) My head feels cut off from the rest of my body. It feels as if it is floating. I am taking seroquel, epitec, fluoxetine and zolpidem. I am in therapy. What can I do to make these feelings go away and at least feel " present?"  My anxiety has caused me to miss a few days of work this last month and I am scared of staying off again. I hope you are able to advise me what to do as I am desperate in wanting to feel grounded. Ps. i am going through a stressful time right now. However, I have always felt disconnected my entire life except now it has gotten worse.

Sounds unpleasant - and not specifically depressed or anxious. Some people decribe such sensations in relation to using these drugs - but if you didn't experience this in your early days on these meds, they're not likely to start causing such side-effects now.
Some people find that when encountering seriously stressful circumstances, as apparently you are, they may "switch of" / dissociate into an unreal, disconnected state of the sort you describe. This is not specifically harmful though some of us would indeed find it unpleasant.
This is one reason why I would not try to treat a condition like yours with medications alone, and CBT style counselling could help you learn how to avoid such extremes of stress or disconnectedness, and how to re-connect yourself when needed. As well as how to handle depression and anxiety when they arise

1