Question
Posted by: CC | 2012-09-14

What Can I Do

I am concerned about a friend of mine. She has had problems with depression in the past. She has become exceptionally withdrawn in the last month or so. She won''t open up about anything, but I can see that she is really anxious and agitated, I also know she is not sleeping a lot. My concern is suicide. I have asked, but get very vague answers neither denying or admitting to thinking about this. I do know that she did make an attempt when she was 19. What should I do? Also there is no real strong support system in terms of family or other friends.

You're an excellent friend. Its up to your friend as to whether or not she chooses to "open up " to you, and what you can most usefully do is much the same as you'd do if she was experiencing awful stomoach pains - you wouldn't try to perform the surgery yourself, but would encourage her to see the right specialist as soon as posible. And if at first she didn't do so, you'd continue, tactfully but firmly to encourage her to do so.

2

Posted by: Maria | 2012-09-14

All you can do is keep encouraging her to seek professional help. Ask if you can make the call to get an appointment for her. Offer to go with. You can also see if she will sign a " suicide contract"  - committing herself to telling you first before she attempts. She is lucky to have you as a friend.

Reply to Maria