Posted by: lilmama | 2009-02-11

What are the chances

I have a normal 28 day cycle and my last period was on the 21.01.2009.I had intercourse over the weekend of the 30.01.2009.What are the chances of pregnancy?? As sperm calive upto 5 days in the follopian tubes.....

Dear Lilama

It is true that sperm may survive for up to 5 days in the female genital tract but the fertility potential of the sperm towards the end is markedly decreased. This is because the motility is much more sluggish and therefore the penetration capacity is reduced. Therefore if you ovulated on Day 14 of your cycle, which would be your 5th day post intercourse, the chances of conception would be significantly reduced.

Answered by: Dr M. I. Cassim