Question
Posted by: Hilda | 2011/02/08

What are the best shop brand dog pellets?

I cant afford vet products so I was using Montego Classic as I was under the wrong impression that it was ostrich based. I have since been told the truth, and now seek a good pellet that I can buy at a reasonable price.

Which of the leading brands is better than the rest, in an experts opinion?

My dogs are both 9 yo.

Both your dogs need to be on a senior diet as they are older than 7 year . Pedigree / Purina are not bad foods , but there are some cheaper alternatives at the Vet - Vets Choice , Dog Sense , Ultra dog. You must always look at the quantity feed per day , the size of the bag and then the cost . Sometimes the "cheaper" food you need to feed more of it per meal and hence use more bags !!

4
Posted by: Jessica | 2011/02/23

Montego is fine, at least I assume so, although its best to ask an expert for the truth.

Its just NOT ostrich based as most people perceive it to be. Dogs with a sensitive skin are told to be on something with less protein ie. ostrich / duck based food, which is better for a dogs system and unfortunately also more expensive.

Reply to Jessica
Posted by: lo26 | 2011/02/12

please let me know about the montego as i feed my rottweilers it ,im very happy with it.

Reply to lo26
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/10

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/08

Hard to say - I guess one would have to check the labels on each. I have a dog that''s been on Nutriphase all her life, which is a Pick ''n Pay brand (not the cheapest one) and I''m very happy with her condition and energy levels.

What is the ''truth'' about Montego, by the way? As far as I am aware, it has a good reputation.

Reply to Chill