Question
Posted by: Yves | 2010/12/06

what am I doing wrong?

HI
I am a 32 year old female, 1.68m tall, and weigh 84kg. For the past 3 weeks I have been trying to loose weight and have adopted a low GI eating plan.
I eat approximately 1450 calories a day and excersize on my spinning bike for 45min - 60 min 5 days a week. I push hard and sweat buckets! My bike counter says Im burning 1800 calories in this time, but I think thats incorrect as it seems way to high. I also do 1 hour Pilates twice a week, which i have been doing for 9 years.

In the past 3 weeks, i have only lost 500g and 0 centimeters!

I have been to the doctor for a full batch of blood tests, and everything is normal, except my cholesterol, which is high.
My gyneacologist recently (6 months ago) put me on a lower-dose estrogen pill in an attempt to get my weight down.

nothing seems to work...what am i doing wrong?

Thank you.

Dear Yves
Three weeks is not really a long time for achieving pronounced weightloss. The low-GI diet (which should also be a low-fat diet) together with exercise will result in gradual weightloss over time. Your 0,5 kg loss is a step in the right direction. Then there is the phenomenon that doing a lot of exercise may be developing muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue. You may also need to discuss other forms of contraception with your gynae if she/he suspects that the pill may be causing your weight problem. So please give your body time to adjust and stick to your low-fat, low-GI diet and daily exercise and you will start losing weight. Perseverance wins!

1

Dear Yves