Posted by: Ntobeko | 2009-01-20

What am I doing wrong?

I have been trying to lose weight for some time, I have been doing well - but lately it hasnt been that great. My typical day would normally be something like this

8am Breakfast_ Oats or All bran with skimmed milk
11am Snack _ Fruit
1pm Lunch_ Brown Rice/ spaghetti, mince/ chicken , baked beans and mixed veggies
3pmSnack _ Fruit / yoghurt
6-7:30pm Supper_ Almost same as Lunch, I make sure I have Carbs, Protein and veggies

Lately I can seem to hold on until my snack times to eat, Im constantly hungry, my sugar level quickly drops and I get light headaches which go away as soon as I eat a fruit but that will last for 45-60mins! This plan has worked for me before but its not now, I didnt get hungry on my diet plan! What could I be doing wrong?

Dear Ntobeko
The diet you describe is reasonable, it should promote weightloss and you should not be developing headaches indicating low blood sugar levels. Try having only low-GI foods for your snacks: apples, pears, plums, yoghurt, cottage cheese with Provitas or rye bread to see if you can stabilise your blood sugar between meals. You don't mention is you are physically active during the day. If you are then it may be necessary to have slightly large snacks to sustain you. If this still does not help and you continue to develop headaches, then I would recommend that you have a medical checkup to see if you suffer from hypoglycaemia or other blood sugar and insulin problems.
Hang in there

Posted by: Y | 2009-01-21

Try to include a low-fat proteien or a healthy fat with your fruit-based or yogurt snacks - e.g. a small hand-full of ostrich biltong, a small chunk of reduced-fat cheese, 1 boiled egg, a small handful of peanuts etc.. I also get hungry or feel lightheaded if I only eat a fruit for a snack - but including a low-fat proteien or a healthy fat keeps me going until lunch or dinner time. I also then usually eat less for lunch or dinner since I' m not as hungry as I when eat only a fruit for a snack.

Reply to Y