Question
Posted by: Jean | 2008/08/11

What am i doing wrong

Dear Doc
I am 24 weight 101.5Kg 1.69m tall, i have lost 11.5kg over a period of 10-11 months but for the last 4 months r so i havent lost a thing. i dont eat fatty foods i only eat toss salad or 2 slices of Low Gi bread in the afternoon (with fruit snaks inbetween &  Kallogs for b-fast) eat steamed veggies at night and have 2l of water during the day. at night i do tae bo 4 times a week and still nothing. i dont know what to do. i realy feel like giveing up. i have a big bone strukture but i kow i have to loos weight. What might be the problem.
please help!!!!
thanks.

Dear Jean
If you are not losing weight properly (about 0,5 to 1 kg per week or at least 20 kg in 10 months) on the very-low energy diet you describe, then I would suggest that you have a medical examination to see if you are not suffering from a hormone imbalance (for example, thyroid, female hormones and PCOS, or insulin resistance). If you should suffer from insulin resistance then the dr will prescribe the necessary medication such as Glucophage and you will need to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) once you have started losing weight and are more mobile. If you are given a clean bill of health by the dr (no hormone imbalances) then I can only suggest that you consider bariatric surgery to help you lose the 30 kg you need to lose to get back into the normal range. Contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za Jana will advise you of your nearest centre where you can have such an op.
Holding thumbs that you can find a way to lose that weight.

2
Posted by: Jean | 2008/08/11

that helps alot i needed that. i realy hope she can give me good advice. i will keep up with the excersise. but i realy need to loos more.

Reply to Jean
Posted by: Keep on going ! | 2008/08/11

Jean, I am sure that Diet Doc will be able to give you valuable advise. I would just like to say to you that you already have accomplished so much. Not just were able to loose weight, but you also have addopted a healthy lifestyle. Stay strong !

Reply to Keep on going !