Posted by: Tango | 2008-10-31

What a year!.......still breathing!

Dear CS

How are you? I do hope splendid. I have finally finished my Palliative Care course and wrote finals on Wednesday. I think I am through but whether its a cum laude - doubt it!

My daughter went to Portugal and met her father and other siblings for the first time and it could not have been better - thank God. They all welcomed her into their homes with open arms and made her feel very special and included from the word go. This is a huge thing for her, its difficult to explain, but its like all the puzzle pieces now fit, she feels complete. I am very happy for her.

I do hope you are planning a holiday away sometime, you sure deserve one!

Gosh, I can remember when I was writing the curricula / standards of care, etc., and teaching some of the first courses on palliative care, nobody thought of a cum laude option. Anyone truly committed to providing good palliative care deserves a cum laude for that alone !
Pleased to hear about your daughter's good visit --- its so noticeable, isn't it, how such experiences which fill in parts of the map of our lives, can be so satisfying.
I usually shock those awful people who call selling Time Share, when they ask : "Now, when last did you have a holiday ?" , apparently expecting an answer within recent months, when I reply : " I think it as somewhere in the 1950's" ! I enjoy travelling and new experiences, and find that refreshing, but a holiday in the sense of going somewhere with little to do there, I just don't do. DId have a couple of pleasant days away in connection with High School Musical, in a weird fancy hotel above Camps Bay, where one needed to walk over a swinging rope bridge in the misty rain to reach one's room, and could admire the 12 Apostles from the loo.

Posted by: anon | 2008-10-31

PS Reading' s CS' s reply, that place in Camps Bay sounds absolutely incredible! What an experience.

Talking about people calling you trying to sell things. Well yesterday I had a woman call me, telling me she was from such and such company doing market research, she wanted to know what music station I listen to. I was deep in thought studying. Answered her, that I don' t spend too much time listening to music right now, but do listen to radio 702 wanted to add the music station but she then said " Is there a younger woman there I can speak to...."  I shrieked with laughter....
replied no, unfortunately not, but wanted to add first of all I am not that old, and secondly did she think only young people listen to music. Thirdly it was a little of an insult, at that point I just laughed and she terminated the call.

Oh my gosh!

Reply to anon
Posted by: anon | 2008-10-31

Hi Tango,

Been thinking of you. Congratulations! Am sure you did very well. How are you doing.

Thats the most wonderful news, your daughter being welcomed and reconnecting with her father and his family.

We all need these good positive experiences in our lives, don' t we. Good happy reunions!

Reply to anon