Question
Posted by: Vicky | 2009-01-17

Wetting herself

Hi, I have a staffie. She is about 4 yrs old now. She had puppies once (6), and she was spayed afterwards. She was the runt of the litter, and is VERY small. Since we got our pit-bull, he is 9 months now, and about 3 times her size, she started to wet herself, especially if she comes into the home later in the night. He is a VERY big puppy, and when he think that he is playing, he hurts her. How do you suggest I can handle this? I' ve heard that terriers tend to get a " chemical reaction?"  in their brains that is irreversible. That was the reason we had our previous bullterriers put down (they were between 4 –  5 years old then).

Dear Vicky

I have no idea why she would only be scared and wet herself late at night and even less of an idea what the 'chemical reaction' is you are talking about.

2
Posted by: Vicky | 2009-01-19

Hi Chill,

Sorry, a “ chemical”  disorder of the brain? That’ s what I’ ve been told, and that it’ s irreversible.

The first bullterrier started to “ snap”  at a person while she was asleep, The second bullterrier we had (male) was sleeping, and he just bit the Chihuahua dead, although he adored her. I was told that a bullterrier can get a personality change, and that these were the reasons why both of them “ snapped” . Nothing dramatically changed. My father was the alpha for both of them.

Reply to Vicky
Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-17

Sounds like fear widdling to me - a sign of submission, in the hope she won' t get hurt

You need to protect her from this pup - if he' s as big as all that, he could really hurt her, and she doesn' t deserve that. She needs a place of her own where she' s safe - perhaps a crate or a suitably-sized sky kennel - at any rate, you can' t allow her to be subjected to an out of control pup, especially if she' s afraid.

I don' t know what ' chemical reaction'  you refer to - all dogs mature, and so do their personalities - why exactly did you have the previous ones put down? What behaviour did they exhibit?

Reply to Chill