Question
Posted by: Patti | 2008/08/09

WENT FOR CANCER OPP - DID NOT GET PAID

I have been with a large company now for 4 months. It was discovered that I have cancer, and had to go for immediate surgery. I was not paid for the time I was off work. (3 weeks). Are they allowed to do that? This was not a opp that could wait. It was very serious. I did sign a contract, but nothing about a life threatening opperation was mentioned. Your help will be appreciated.
Thank you so much

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

The company is entitled to do what they did despite the fact that it doesnt soubd fair

1
Posted by: anon | 2008/08/11

Yes they are - for sick leave you are entitled to 10 days every year OR 30 days in every 3 year cycle

In your first 6 months of employment it is calculated as one day sick leave for every 26 days worked - therefore they should have paid you for 3.5 days sick leave (that is if you havent taken any other sick leave during these 4 months)

Reply to anon