Question
Posted by: Tani | 2008/08/29

Wellbutrin SR

Good Afternoon Doctor,

I quote what you said in a earlier post:

" Wellbutrin and fluoxetine are significantly different, indeed wellbutrin ( bupropion ) is different from all other avaialbale ADs )" 

Can you please explain to me why you say this and although it all depend on the individual, I was just wondering if Wellbutrin is a " good"  anti-depressant to take or not?

After almost 18 months of being depressed, I finally faced up to the problem this week and my doctor prescribed Wellbutrin. I have tried to read up on it on the Net but for me with no clue to any medical names, terms etc. nothing I read makes sense.

I' ve been using Wellbutrin since Tuesday, and besides a dry mouth in the mornings, I have not really experienced a lot of side effects yet. Just want to add that I' m only taking 1 (150mg) in the mornings for now and if that does not help, I will increase it to 2 (300mg) per day taken 8 hours apart.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

Many people have found Wellbutrin to be an excellent antidepressant, and it has also proved useful, unlike other ADs, in helping people stop smoking. And it seems to have less sexual side-effects ( such as reducing sexual interest / libido ) than others. All ADs work by affecting, in various ways, a number of the chemicals which, in tiny amounts, help our brain to work well, and they have slightly different profiles as to which of these
"neurotransmitters" they influence, and to what extent. Good that you're not experiencing noticeable side-effects --- remember they're possible, but not compulsory ! You're likely to do really well on this. If you do a google search on Wellbutrin, you should find a lot of stuff, and the chemical name, also worth serching for, is Bupropion.