Posted by: Momof3 | 2012-11-11

Wellbutrin -can it cause a humbilical hernia ?

Hi Cyber Doc

My husband has a umbilical hernia that is getting worse. I asked him to check with our GP when he saw him on Friday morning and our GP told my husband not to worry its the Wellbrtrin antidepressants that is causing the problem. My husband is over weight and 55 yrs old. Can this really be the case or should he get a 2nd opinion.?

A study reported to the FDA with 46000 people participating, found that 39 people had an umbilical hernia. It was reported that Wellbutrin can worsen umbilical hernias. However, the hernia can be related to your husband being over weight and I suggest that he consults a dietrician. He should reconsult his doctor if the hernia enlarges and becomes problematic.