Question
Posted by: Anxious | 2008/10/14

Wellbutrin &  Zopax 1mg

I have been diagnosed with Major Depression due to loss of three family members due to suicide. The last being my husband. I have been prescribed many types of anti-depressants and tranquilizers over the past 5 years. I have been on Wellbutrin (twice daily) and zopax 1mg (three times daily). I did not react well on the wellbutrin and my GP added Lorien 20mg(1 in the morning). After 5 months I can honestly say that I feel worse and anxious the whole time. I am a widow and single mom to my daughter(9) and son (18). I use all my energy just to cope and tend to want to sleep rather than being awake. I drink adcodols with my zopax to help me sleep. I know this is bad but I just haven' t got the energy to do anything. I started therapy but battle to express myself and then I stopped. I don' t want to feel the way I feel as I am just breathing and not living life. I am 41 years of age and has always been a very giving person, hence always try and help when asked because I cannot say no.

Please help me to understand what this medication is doing to me and what would be my best option to eventually get better and live a better life.

Thanking you sincerely,

I think you deserve a second opinion, and should see a good local psychiatrist ( specialist ) for a full re-assessment and a discussion of all treatment options. Counselling of the Cognitive-Behaviour therapy ( CBT ) form helps greatly with Depression. I wonder to what extent a significant part of the problem may be Grief ( which does not respond to antidepressants ) rather than Depression. The shrink would need to clarify the cause of your sleep problems, and find a better solution than adcodol. With chronic use it has numerous significant risks, including dependency, both on the sedative component, and the codeine ( which can also cause constipation, and is related to morphine ).
GP's try their best to help, but if things are not working out well, see the appropriate specialist ( the psychiatrist ) for a full re-assessment and a new treatment plan, including a way for deal with the sleeping problems and to gradually come off the Adcodol