Question
Posted by: Dirk | 2011/06/28

Wellbutrin

I am currently on the following meds for a Bipolar 2 disorder. Risperdal 0.5gms x 2, Luvox 50mg and I recently started with Wellbutrin SR 150mg. I experience mixed states with high levels of anxiety and depression. The Risperdal does works well to curb the anxiety but I still struggle with depression for which the doctor prescribed the Wellbutrin. I have read that Wellbutrin could aggravate anxiety/insomnia and want to know if this information is just anecdotal and also whether the Risperdal/Luvox combo would combat any increased anxiety/insomnia if it should occur.

Risperdal has many values, and can indeed calm anxiety and agitation from a number of causes. Wellbutrin is an antidepressant ( like Luvox ) and I think can cause some anxiety in some people, and isn't quite anecdotal in the sense of being merely a rumour or urban myth, but is indeed reported by some people taking the drug. Increased depression isnt typical.
Increasing the luvox or even the risperdal doesn't sound like the best solution - basically, your prescribing shrink ( this sort of combination is beyond the capacity of GPs ) should be asked to review the current combination and the symptoms you are experiencing, and consider whether this is the best combination for you, considering your reactions and your history

1