Question
Posted by: Judy | 2012/08/20

Wellbrutin and alcohol

Dear Doc

I know that one should not mix AD''s with alcohol. I have only been on Wellbrutin for not quite a month yet.

However I went out with friends one evening and a few glasses of white wine, that night I felt terrible could not sleep at all my heart was racing and when I lay down I could feel it beating in my head, if I sat up I could feel it beating in my throat I really thought I was going to die. I took an Azor to calm me which kind of worked but I still got no sleep the whole evening, and the next day was dead beat tired!

I at the time thought it cannot be the wine suely but I had one glass of wine on this past weekend just to find out whether it was the wine or not and it happened again but not as bad. The pharmacist said one can have a few drinks with Wellbrutin. I am not a drinker but when socialising I have a glass a or two.

Also my doctor told me that after 2 weeks of taking the Wellbrutin I should feel a whole lot better. I have days where I feel great and days where I don''t is it still too early after only having taken it for 3 weeks going on 4 to feel a difference yes in my moods?

Thank you.
Judy

Well, now you know at least some of the reasons we don't recommend combining antidepressants with alcohol. Individual reactions vary, and some people can get away with a glass or two of wine. ( By the way, all the rules about "glasses of wine" refer to the old wine-glasses which were rather tiny, rather than some of the gigantic glasses restaurants prefer to give us these days ( so as to increase their wine sales ) - you could float a rubber duck in them ! So the point is they contain more wine than the advice usually assumes.
Generally, with all ADs, one starts to notice the benefits around 2 weeks after starting on the full dose. But remember too that only some 70 % of us respond well to any one AD, so one may need, with assessment by the doc, to make a planned change to a different drug. Sounds like you have noticed some improvement in your moods so far, but not a consistent improvement. Need to discuss this with the doc.
And avoid wine while taking these meds - it shouldn't be too much of a hardship to try an alternative beverage !

1