Question
Posted by: LYNN | 2009/03/14

WELLBRUTIN AND ALCOHOL

HELLO DR
I TOO EMBARRESSED TO ASK MY GP THIS . HE GAVE ME WELLBRUTIN EARLY LAST YEAR I WAS USING IT FOR NINE MONTHS AND NOTICED THAT I HAD GAINED LOTS OF WEIGHT AND HAD WATER RETENTION . HE ORDER LIVER FUNTION TESTS AND THEY WERE ELEVATED GAMM GT 312 OTHER ENZYMES WERE ALSO ELVATED , WENT FOR A SCAN AND XRAY ,ALL WAS NORMAL . I JUST HAD ANOTHER " LFT"  AND GAMMA GT 123 OTHERS STILL ELEVATED , I HAD TO GO FOE A REPEAT " LFT"  IN SIX MONTHS.
MY QUESTION IS WAS IT THE FACT THAT I DRANK EVERYDAY 3 - 4 WHISKEYS THAT HAS CAUSED MY LIVER TO HAVE THIS DAMAGE. I HAVE STOPPED THE WELLBRUTIN 3MNTS AGO AND HAVE CUT DOWN IN A BIG WAY THE DRINKING ASWELL . WILL MY LIVER GET BETTER ? I HAVE JOINED WEIGHT LESS A MONTH AGO SO I AM EATING HEALTHY ?

Lynn

Excessive alcohol intake will increase your Gamma GT. If there are no permanent damage to the liver, your liver enzymes should return to normal. I strongly suggest that you stop your alcohol intake. Consumption of four whiskeys per night will unfortunately damage your liver over time.

Please refer to the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_alcohol