Question
Posted by: anon2 | 2009-03-30

Weirdo

I really, really hate myself. When I’ m not in therapy I tell my colleagues things about myself. Things they really should not know about me. This morning I told two of my colleague’ s the reason I was admitted to hospital last year (everyone at work knows by now that I cracked and was hospitalised). I went so far as to tell my colleagues, that I wanted to end my life at that time. Maybe I did, maybe I didn’ t –  I can’ t even remember, but I must have said something strange to the psychologist because in a matter of hours I was hospitalised (I can' t belief that I let myself be hospitalised). I also told my colleagues that I’ m now seeing a social worker (talking to her obviously doesn’ t prevent me from telling other people about myself). I also told them that I live in a dark house where I don’ t open the curtains. It is no secret that I do not have any friends. I can’ t be in therapy for the rest of my life. Besides sounding like a stupid idea, I can’ t afford it. I have to change therapists every couple of months, because after a few sessions they know everything about me and it is time to end the therapy. I know the signs, they look bored stiff. Seeing a therapist for a while seems to prevent me from telling other people how weird I am.

A curious complaint. Although it is good to talk things over with an appropriate professional person, clearly you pick the wrong people and tell them things that are of no possible help for you. What do you think motivates this ? Are you anticipaing sympathy or help from them ? shock ? Why do you need to tell people, therapists or others, how weird you are ? Why does it seem important to you to be weird, and to be seen as weird ?
I'm also puzzled by your concept of therapy ( and, apparently, that of your therapists ) --- there's little point in just telling them the story of your life and moving on, That's useless. This is one of the reasons why why I recommend only CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) because it has a specific agenda --- it works with you to identify specific problems that ened attention, to specify goals, and works realistically on how to get there from here. When you have achieved your goals, THEn therapy is complete. Aspects of your past are relevant only if they shed light on how you reached the fixed and maladaptive ideas that lead to current problems and inconvenient behaviour.

1
Posted by: erm | 2009-03-30

Weird is as werid does, do less weird things and you will be less werid :-)

and no one is normal my friend get out more and find out for yourself!

Reply to erm