Posted by: Lizz | 2010/06/22

weird feel after exercise

Hi Doc,
I am not sure who to pose this question to, so I am posting it on a few expert forums.

I have started a diet about a month ago. I am on low GI low fat diet eating every 3 hours. I exercise regularly bout 4-5 times a week for no less than an hour at a time. I started off by swimming but now I exercise on my stepper and on the stationary bike (winter). I have been exercising for more than a month I have just increased my intensity, duration and intervals (from 2-3 times a week to 4-5 times a week). My fitness has improved dramatically and I have lost a few kg’ s too. I was diagnosed with low blood sugar a few years ago, I do eat properly for this although I have not seen a dietician recently.

My problem is, most days I exercise I have this weird sensation all day. I am very peckish and thirsty (almost like the first few months of pregnancy) and my face feels flushed, but it is not...and I m slightly light headed almost like dull head ache in my fore head. Is this normal?

Thank you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFitnessDoc

Hi Lizz

Difficult question. It might be a number of things, it might be one thing, difficult to say.

I think overall, the symptoms point to a lack of energy in the diet - being peckish and light headed suggest low blood sugar, and that may be the result of your diet. Perhaps it's not replacing as much energy as it should. The thirst could be linked, because we get much of our fluid from the food we eat.

The flushed feeling, I'm not sure about. That sounds like something to do with circulation, which is difficult to explain. It may be related to how your body is responding to energy though, in that you have to "mobilize" energy after training and a side-effect of this is feeling flushed.

I would look at diet, then, as the likely solution. Specifically, what you eat and how much. It sounds like you eat often enough, but perhaps it's a matter of eating more, or changing the type of food. So at the risk of passing the buck, I'd look at seeing a dietician again.

Good luck

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.