Question
Posted by: s | 2010/02/03

weird ear

Hi Doc.
I have this very unsual earache. It' s not inside my ear but rather on the cartlidge area just above my right earlobe. It started suddenly yesterday and was a case of one second perfectly fine the next sudden pain which is a combination of a stabbing/aching/dull yet slightly sharp pain (I know it' s quite a mixture there). It stays for a few minutes then goes and then just as suddenly comes back. This has been going on since yesterday. I' ve never had this before and I have no idea what' s going on, do you?

Hallo S
This could be inflammation of the TM joint (joint between the skull and the jaw) it is usually tender if you put your pinky in the ear and press to the front, or if you press in front of the ear when you open your jaw. It may happen if you gnash your teeth or ate something like biltong which put stress on the joint. If it is TM joint inflammation, something like Neurofen may help.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/03

Hallo S
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc