Posted by: Sam | 2009-01-14

Weird dreams and deserted by best mate

OK well before I go into any detail I would just like to say im 16 and I am a former cannabis smoker, I used to smoke it a hell of a lot (2 times a week at the very least) I have been off it for 45 days today. I have 2 questions and I would very much appreciate if you could answer both of them as best you could. I have been having the weirdest dreams and im certain it relates to me quitting the drug, I keep dreaming of smoking weed, its happend about 4 times now the dreams are so vivid and I always wake up thinking it actaully happend. The dreams are in the places I always used to hang out and smoke weed but there is one thing that is very different. I seem a lot less excessive for example I dreamt I was smoking a bong, had a few hits and then returned it to the shelf and that was that, a better example was a dream that I found a huge amount but only had one spliff and I remember thinking in my dream I will have this spliff then sell the rest this would not have happend say 60 days ago. The most recent dream was last night it was not as vivid and I do not remeber waking up thinking it was real however it was similar to what I used to do with my best friend walk around local areas looking for a secluded place to smoke, I ended up in the most common area we would go. I could imagine it being quite hard getting your head around all of that but if anyone knows much about dreams or things like that then please help me.

This is the second and probably more simple part. As you already know ive been trying to quit and it started off with me and my best friend quitting together however a week later he was tempted back into it by another so called friend and decided he would still do it but not as much slowly as the weeks progressed we became less like two best friends he stopped inviting me out and now hangs around with another group. He always used to be the sensible one saying he was going to quit soon and not do it as much and that he wanted a good future and it was always me who used to be immature, excessive and taking drugs way too much, I even planned a future based on growing weed however it seems hes taken my place or tried to fill a gap, hes smoking it more than ever constantly getting wrecked off his face and sometimes does other drugs it also seems he resents me for quitting drugs, getting my life back on track, and trying to make something of myself is it simply that he misses the old me and is trying to fill a gap or is there more to it, anyone and everyones help is greatly needed and will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hi Sam. Whenever we get our brain accustomed to having any particular set of chemicals around in abundance, and then stop providing these chemicals, the brain tends to miss them for a time, and to take time to re-adjust to their absence. And to also have dreams about aspects of the habit you are giving up, is also understandable. They will pass. Remember that these also demonstrate the power of associations with the people and places where you used to smoke, so avoiding such people and places will make it much easier to kick the habit. An alcoholic who still spends every night at the bar, will find it harder or impossible to give up alcohol.
As you saw, when your friend was lured back into the habit by another friend who still indulges. Remember, the old drug-using friends who have NOT given up, feel uneasy about someone who has, and feel better if they can lure you back into sharing the habit wih them.
And quitting altogether is often easier than butting down, for various good reasons. Avoid him if you can --- he will try to get you smoking again, as a non-smoking you reminds him that he could and should give it up, a truth which he would rather not face