Posted by: Beatice | 2009-10-02

Weird cravings

Hi doc
Evertime I eat red meat I find myslef craving sugar, and end up eating sweets and feel guilty afterwards, I really don' t know what to do or if it' s normal. I only eat it twice a week and I eat lean meat. What should I do?

Dear Beatrice
If you are not overweight then having a bit of sugar or a few sweets twice a week will not do any harm. Your diet may be deficient in carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index (GI), which can trigger cravings, but I have never heard of meat causing a carb craving. Try to include a low-GI carbohydrate with each main meal to see if you can change the cravings. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.