Question
Posted by: SJN | 2009-03-23

Weird

I recently caught my domestic worker stealing money from my hand bag. I caught her red handed so she was obviously fired. I asked my mom this morning if she knew anyone that was looking for work who could come and clean for me. She offered to do it.

I feel really weird about this. It feels really embarrassing having my mom come and clean my house for money!

She was retrenched in june last year, they dont need the money really as my father has a pretty good job and makes adequate money, i think she is just bored and looking for something to do.

Why do i feel so bad about this? What is the difference having a stranger come clean my house and having my mom do it?

(please note before i get the usually array of nasty comments that I work 2 jobs and dont have much time to clean house for myself! Im not looking for a premenant worker just some one who can do all the little things that i just dont have time to do)

Mom's often help out, and if they're bored, they may welcome such an opportunity. I suppose it's the matter of paying her than makes you feel weird about the arrangement. Have you discussed this discomfort with your mom, to check how she feels about it ?

1
Posted by: Really | 2009-03-23

Jip,

CS is right, it' s the paying her thing that would make anyone uncomfortable.... Also, I think that if she does not do something in the way you want it done, like fold the clothes in a certain way or do the laundry on a certain day, will you be comfortable to correct your mother?

I hope that she will actually do the work and not take advantage that it is you and that she can relax.

But it should work out.

All the best.

Reply to Really