Question
Posted by: Anon | 2011-05-23

Weightloss question

I know that a healthy diet in conjunction with a exercise regime assists in weightloss. I however have a few questions:
How important is carbohydrates / starches in a diet? I hate bread and go without it for months, i dont like rice and would rather have a bowl of veggies than eat rice. I dont really cook with potatoes either. A typical meal for me would be grilled chicken/ fish and veggies. I could even go without the protein for days and be satisfied with vegetable soup or a bowl of cauliflower / brocolli. I have my 8 glasses or more of water a day, exercise 7 days a week but yet i am considered overweight and not really losing anything. I have 6 small meals a day and it contains veg and fruit. I dont use oil or salt in my foods. My friends hate eating over because they complain about my eating habits. Everything i eat is fat-free or low-fat. Pastas are always wholegrain. The only time i eat sweets is when i have my period once a month. What am i doing wrong as i really dont see the kg''s dropping, but i am noticing a change in cm''s.

Dear Weightloss Question
Carbohydrates (which include rice, bread, cereals, grains, pasta, some vegetables and fruits), are regarded as important in the human diet as a source of energy to fuel physical activity. They also provide dietary fibre to ensure regularity and a variety of nutrients such as vitamin B complex and minerals. If you as an individual do not like bread, rice or starchy vegetables, then that is your choice. From what you describe, you seem to be doing most things right to lose weight and there are signs of this by the fact that you are losing cm. If you find that your low-fat diet is not helping you to lose significant amounts of weight, then it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup to see if you don't perhaps have hormone imbalances (thyroid, insulin or female hormones and/or PCOS). If you should suffer from insulin resistance or PCOS which is often associated with insulin resistance, then please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assist you with a low-GI, balanced diet.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-05-23

Dear Weightloss Question