Question
Posted by: Debra Aukett | 2012/09/07

Weightloss Plateau

2012 is my year to lose weight and so far I have done well and lost steadily at about 2kg a month, a total of 13kg so far, but the past 6 weeks my weight is standing still. I try to eat about 1200 calories per day, and burn 300 - 400 calories with exercise 5 to 6 times a week, sometimes eating some of my exercise calories back when I''m still hungry, but never everything. During this time that my weight stood still I increased exercise, eating even leaner more healthy foods, tried calorie cycling etc etc, basically tried upping my game to get it moving again. I must add that I have measured myself and have lost quite a couple of cm, but not one single gram. I am happy that I''m losing cm''s, but I''m worried that I''m not losing weight as I need to get into the healthy BMI range. Do you have any advice for me?

Dear Debra
Firstly congratulations on losing those 13 kg - well done! It is a well know phenomenon that weightloss tends to reach a plateau during slimming and that this can be very discouraging. This is usually a reaction by the human body to a low energy intake (e.g. 'perceived starvation'). It is important to persevere with your regimen that achieved the 13 kg loss for you and NOT to suddenly decrease your energy intake even further. Your body will resist weightloss even more! Just return to your original kcal intake and keep on with the level of exercise you were initially using and relax! The fact that you are losing cm is also an indication of fat loss even if you are not losing mass on the scales. Getting stressed about the situation produces a whole host of stress hormones like cortisol which in turn causes water retention and this will make you weight more even if you are losing fat.
Hang in there and you will start losing weight again.

3
Posted by: Debra | 2012/09/08

Thanks you, Diet Doc, I really appreciate your kind words and reassurance. I''m definitely going to keep at it until I have won the battle. Warm regards

Reply to Debra

Dear Debra

Posted by: Debra Aukett | 2012/09/07

Just to give you some more info:

- The exercise I do is a combination of strength training and cardio
- My daily eating consists of 3 meals and 2 snacks
- I only try to eat Low GI, and Low Fat Foods
- I limit sugar and use low fat dairy products
- Depending if I eat exercise calories back I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories per day: lots of vegetables and 2 fruit portions
- I use Myfitnesspal.com to track my calories, but I always check food labels to make sure I have the correct information.
- I currently weigh 89kg

I hope the above information will help you to help me to get my weightloss back on track. I''m really determined to be healthy, fit and hopefully soon thin

Reply to Debra Aukett