Question
Posted by: Moedverlore | 2011-11-14

Weightloss and Insulin resistance

I am 33 years old and recently diagnosed with insulin resistance, high cholesterol (good ones none, bad ones high) and slight liver function problems. My GP suggested a lifestyle change and started me on Glucophage 500 mg twice daily. My weight is 112,7 kg. Both my Grandmother and mother are diabetic type 2, both my uncles as well as my great grandparents (which already passed along due to diabetis). We all are overweight. Since my mother has been diagnosed, she lost almost 40 kg in less that 2 years and is keeping it off. Both me and my mother has severe back problems which makes excersizing very difficult. I can not walk long distances or run at all. We do not have a gym (living in a small mining community).

My question. I have changed everything my GP suggested. No bread / rice, no red meat. So I am sticking to weatbix with little milk for breakfast and one cup of coffee per day (used to be 6 or 7 daily), a peach (fruit), lettuce tomatoe and cucumber salad every afternoon, a fruit again, and then baked or steamed fish / chicken and veggies. No butter involved. I have never been one for sweet stuff, or over eating (except christmas), or binge eating. But somehow I cannot loose weight. With everything I have changed, I suspected to loose at least one or 2 kg" s so far, but nothing. My thyroid has been tested, nothing wrong. I tried to do more work around the house and garden to improve mobility (excersizing). What else can I do?

Dear Moedverlore
If you suffer from insulin resistance (IR) and high cholesterol and have a history of diabetes in your family, then it is essential for you to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. I understand that this is going to be difficult, but make arrangements that the next time you visit the nearest town where there is a dietitian, that you make an appointment to see her/him. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised cholesterol, into account when working out an individual diet prescription for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels and promote weightloss. If you suffer with a bad back then swimming may be the only option. If there is a swimming pool at the mine, then I would recommend that you start swimming as soon as you get more mobile. But the most important thing is to get to see a dietitian, because patients with IR need to have individual diets worked out for their condition.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-11-14

Dear Moedverlore