Question
Posted by: Sashi | 2010/01/11

weightloss and birth control

Comlpiments of the new year Doc.Hope u are well.Doc I have a very puzzling situation that I hope u can assist with.I started using birth control pill two years ago because of a bad PMS and birth control was recommended. To my suprise I lost 12kgs without trying but PMS wasnt better in anyway.After a year I decided to stop taking the pill cause it didnt help with PMS and I gained weight Immediately.Then I decided to take the pill again to see what will happen.I lost weight again.

Is there any explanation for this ?

Dear Sashi
Thank you for your good wishes for the new year which I reciprocate heartily. The relationship between female hormone intake and weight is indeed one of those mysteries. Some women will lose weight, while other women will gain weight when they take female hormones. This is evidently an individual reaction. I am just glad that you are one of those women who lose weight when you use the pill. I have not yet come across an explanation for this phenomenon because the interaction of the hormones with metabolism is very complex and what may stimulate one person's metabolism, can suppress another person's metabolism. The human body is indeed a strange and wonderful system. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read article 57 'PMS and diet' to obtain some tips on what you can do to prevent these PMS
symptoms.
I hope you have a wonderful 2010.

1

Dear Sashi
symptoms.
I hope you have a wonderful 2010.