Question
Posted by: Samke | 2011/10/19

Weightloss

I am trying to lose about 20 kg so far I have managed to lose 10kg in about a year. I''''m on a low GI eating plan and I exercise 4-5 times a week with a combination of both cardio and strength workout. I have seemingly stopped losing and I''''m now stuck with is very depressing. What seems to be the problem? Am I missing something in my workout that is making me stuck. My fat percentage is decreasing though, an average of 1-2% per month.

Dear Samke
Congratulations on losing those 10 kg - you are a ***star*** and for using a sensible low-GI diet and exercise to achieve your goal. The human body is constantly trying to achieve balance. When you lose weight, your body will adapt to its new situation and it may even switch off its fat-loss mechanisms. If you persevere and keep up the exercise (concentrate on doing more cardio than weights), then your body will respond. Getting depressed is not good because depression can also hamper weightloss, so do your workouts to give yourself a lift and concentrate on your ahcievement of losing 1-2% body fat per month. Also remember that lean muscle tissue ironically weighs more than fat tissue, so you may experience positive losses (like with the body fat%) and lose cm, while your weight remains the same for awhile.
Keep up the good work and you will start losing again.
Well done!

1

Dear Samke
Well done!