Question
Posted by: Natasja | 2011/06/29

Weightloss

Good day,
in November i started getting very nauseous, i was admitted to hospital in January and it was later discovered that i had a bug in my lower intestines, when that was eventually sorted out, i lost all appetite - or should i rather say my appetite didnt return after the nausea. so i didnt eat, i would only eat a small container of yoghurt every 3days, in 3months i lost 30kg, and in the 3months since then ive lots a further 16kg, i eat more often now, atleast once a day, but when i eat its healthy fresh food. i dont feel ill, and i am still wanting to loose about 14kg, i used to weigh over 110kg and now weight about 67, im 1.61m tall. but alot of people are telling me how unhealthy the way im loosing weight is. ive lost the last weight gradually, and sometimes a few weeks pass that i hardly loose weight, but i maintain my weight, any advice?

Dear Natasja
I am sorry to hear that you had such a serious gastrointestinal infection, but it does seem that this condition has assisted you to lose an amazing amount of weight. 46 kg is practically a whole person! Your present BMI = 25,9 which is just above the upper limit of the normal range (18-25). I would not recommend that you try losing another 14 kg, because with a weight of 53 kg, your BMI would equal 20,5 which is too low. The ideal BMI for adult women is about 22, for which you would need to weigh 57 kg. I am worried that you will develop nutrient deficiencies if you only eat once a day and have starved for such a long period of time. Your calcium and iron intakes for example, may be too low to respectively prevent brittle bones and iron deficiency anaemia. I would recommend that you have a medical checkup and ask the dr to monitor if you have any vitamin or mineral deficiencies. If this should be the case, then the dr will advise which supplements you need to take.
Take care

1

Dear Natasja
Take care