Question
Posted by: TRacey | 2011-07-20

weightgain after hysterectomy

I had a total hysterectomy 2 year ago and have pick up 10Kg I have never been overweight except when I fell pregnant 5 years ago and it took me 1 year to loss it my problem is no matter what diet or tablets I take I loss weight one day and two days later I have gain again e.g I weigh 60 in the morning and 61 the next morning has it got to do with water. Also I have been told most diet tables work on your hormone is this true.

Dear Tracey
Some women do unfortunately gain weight after a total hysterectomy, while other do not. This can be due to the absence of female hormones, or replacing them with HRT. This is thus an individual reaction. If you are taking hormone replacement therapy then it seems that the hormones cause you to gain weight. A change in weight of 1 kg from one day to another can be due to water retention or excretion and it is normal for some people to gain up to 3 kg from day to day because of water retention. This is something you should discuss with the dr who is treating you. A gain of 10 kg is however, probably not just water retention. You could try doing regular daily exercise like going for walks or skipping or joining a gym or Walk for Life. Exercise does help to prevent weight gain and promote weightloss and it is very useful to prevent osteoporosis after a hysterectomy. Combine the exercise with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), rather than to take over-the-counter slimming tablets that can have a variety of negative effects.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-07-20

Dear Tracey