Question
Posted by: Roxy | 2008/06/01

weightgain

I want to gain weight very badly and have been trying with no success for the past 7yrs, i have taken milkshakes done the gym thing and i stuff my face constantly. i am a 26 yrs old 1.70m and weigh 39kg's. which doctor should i see? a nutrionist or a gp? i am desperate! is there a drug that can stop my metabilism?
pls help with any info.
thank you

Dear Roxy
I agree that your weight is very low. Your present BMI = 13,5 is far below the lower level of normal weight. If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Fresenius Kabi and Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone Fresenius on (011) 545-0000, or the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a meal supplement such as Fresubin, with or without fibre, at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. If you have your thyroid tested then I would recommend that you see a physician and if you still can't gain any weight by using the tips described in my articles, then do consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), for an individual diet prescription to help you gain weight.