Posted by: thato makgobe | 2012-11-23

weight watchers vs low gi/gl diet

I am 23years old , weigh 72kg and I am only 1.59m tall . My weight yo yo so much and I am tired of it , I want to take control and for once in my life be incontrol and healthy , I want to know which works best weight watchers or low gi , I need a lifestyle change .

Dear Thato
Your present BMI = 28,5 and to achieve an ideal BMI for adult women of 22, you would need to weigh 56 kg. This will entail a loss of 16 kg which is a lot of weight to lose. I think that you should firstly have a medical examination to determine if you suffer from insulin resistance or not. Ask your dr to test your blood sugar and insulin levels. If you do suffer from insulin resistance (IR) then it is essential to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). However, if you don't have insulin resistance then I would recommend that discuss your situation with Weight Watchers because you are probably a slimmer who would benefit from the backup supplied by an organisation like Weight Watchers who will help to stick to your diet. If you join Weight Watchers you also need to do the above mentioned exercise, to achieve maximum results.