Question
Posted by: Sam | 2009/12/09

Weight Watchers not working for my husband

My husband and I have been on weight watchers for the past six weeks. I have been attending the meetings and have lost 7kg to date :) My husband is a very large man +- 160kgs and does not want to attend the meetings with me. He is too large to weigh on my scale and refuses to be measured with a tape measure. He is convinced that the diet is not working for him - when I explain to him that I need to measure him on a weekly basis - to see if it is working, he tells me that he can feel that his pants are not any easier to do up. He eats exactly what I eat - just larger portions (to meet his daily points requirements) I am at my wits end, is there any reason why he wouldn' t be losing weight? I feel that he has lost but that he is just being negative. Please help??

Dear Sam
A study conducted in the UK a few years ago found that men in general do not like the group approach which works so well for women through organisations like Weight Watchers. The problem is that your hubby may feel embarrassed to be weighed in front of other people. You can only talk to him and tell him that you understand that he is shy of being seen by the group, but that there are many other participants who are in the same boat. You could also ask the group monitors or counsellors if one of them would meet with your hubby on his own to explain the benefits of losing weight and the advantages of having some proof that he is losing weight. This may persuade him to at least allow you to measure him so that you can provide him with proof of weightloss to encourage him.
I sincerely hope that your hubby gets over his negative attitude and achieves good weightloss.

2
Posted by: John | 2009/12/09

I am on diet for about 2 years. No loss. I have tried every diet available.
The last about 2 months I am on Ciplatrim. I lost 3 kg and a jean-size. The new electronic scale is one day down next up. He must just do his exercise and not cheat with eating. Cutting down on portions is also helping. Walking is not enough!
If he is negative, it is not going to help and he is not going to lose.

Losing Weight is Not a Race - It'  s a Hike. Take your time.

Reply to John

Dear Sam