Posted by: Desirè  | 2009-09-14

Weight watchers and PCOS and insulin resistance

Dear Diet Doc

Could you please tell me if i will lose weight when following the weight watchers plan?
I have PCOS and are insulin resistance.

And how many kilo' s will i lose in a week?

Thanking you!

Dear Desire
I believe that Weight Watchers do have a diet programme for patients with insulin resistance (IR), but you will have to discuss this with your local branch before you join. If they do not have such an IR diet programme then I would urge you to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). It is difficult to predict how much weight you will lose on either the WW diet or a low-fat, low-GI diet, because it depends on many factors, but in general these kinds of diet cause a weightloss of 0,5 to 1 kg per week, esp if combined with exercise.