Question
Posted by: Motlalentwa | 2011/05/03

Weight v/s Height

I am 40 years old. 1.74m tall, my weight is 104kg. Am i overweight.

Dear Motlalentwa
I have calculated your BMI which equals 34,3, which is within the obese range. To get back into the overweight range with a BMI of 29, you would need to weigh 87 kg (thus a loss of 17 kg) and to get back into the normal range with a BMI of 25, you would need to weigh 75 kg (an additional loss of 12 kg and a total loss of 29 kg). This is a great deal of weight to lose and I would recommend that you aim to lose 10 kg at a time, otherwise you will get discouraged. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise like going for walks for 30 min a day. As you start losing weight and become more mobile you can increase how fast and far you walk in the 30 min. Start slowly and work up to an intense exercise session, but please first have a medical checkup and if the medical doctor gives permission, then commence with the exercise. If you find that you struggle with the diet, then please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area)if at all possible. The dietitian will help to guide you through the initial stages of getting used to using a balanced slimming diet.

1

Dear Motlalentwa