Posted by: Philani | 2008-12-10

Weight training and Resting

I have started running weight training and would like to know how long I should rest before exercising the same muscle group. E.g I do my chest and biceps on Mondays and Thursdays  Back, shoulders and triceps on Tuesdays and Fridays  and legs on Wednesdays.

I run for 3 to 4 days a week as well in the mornings.

Is this enough time for my muscles to recover?

HI Philani

Plenty of time, unless the running is also taking an added amount out of you. But three days is enough to recover - you could probably get away with two days (so one day on, one day off), but for now, stick with this, see how it goes,a nd then make changes later. If at some stage you do start to feel that your muscles are fatigued and not recovering then maybe take a little longer off. But I suspect it'll be ok.