Question
Posted by: Gym Bunny | 2009-09-04

Weight training and gaining weight

I posted this question to Fitness Doc but it' s been 4 days and I haven' t received an answer, so I thought maybe you could help me:

I started a more frequent and intense weight training program about 2-3 months ago (which includes 2 days legs training, 1 day arms &  3 days abs), whilst maintaining my cardio regime of 1h every day. Before this change I just did 1h cardio a day and hardly any weight training. Since I'  ve started this program I'  ve gained roughly 2kg.

Regarding my eating habits: I follow a very healthy diet and I eat quite a lot. Nothing has really changed regarding what I eat, although I could be mistaken regarding quantity. I should mention that I have a very weird sleeping pattern and sometimes eat late at night, usually cereal (bran flakes/muesli/etc) with yoghurt or milk. Besides that I sometimes have 2-3 glasses of wine over the weekend.

What I would like to know is what proportion of the 2kg you think could be attributable to the weight training? Before the weight training I weighed roughly 51kg (I'  m 1.64m tall). I have no idea if gaining 2kg in muscle in 2-3 months is possible for me or not. Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Dear Gym Bunny
It is perfectly possible that the 2 kg increase in weight you have experienced is due to muscle development because muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue (ironic, but true). If you are training very intensively then you will still need to keep up your food intake, esp of carbohydrates (about 4 g per kg body weight/day) and lean protein (about 2 g per kg body weight per day). Not sleeping enough is, however, a factor that can promote weight gain, so do try to get 8 hours of sleep a night. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do a Search for the article I wrote a few weeks ago on "Sleep yourself thin".