Posted by: Gym Bunny | 2009-08-31

Weight training and gaining weight

I started a more frequent and intense weight training program about 2-3 months ago (which includes 2 days legs training, 1 day arms &  3 days abs), whilst maintaining my cardio regime of 1h every day. Before this change I just did 1h cardio a day and hardly any weight training. Since I' ve started this program I' ve gained roughly 2kg.

Regarding my eating habits: I follow a very healthy diet and I eat quite a lot. Nothing has really changed regarding what I eat, although I could be mistaken regarding quantity. I should mention that I have a very weird sleeping pattern and sometimes eat late at night, usually cereal (bran flakes/muesli/etc) with yoghurt or milk. Besides that I sometimes have 2-3 glasses of wine over the weekend.

What I would like to know is what proportion of the 2kg you think could be attributable to the weight training? Before the weight training I weighed roughly 51kg (I' m 1.64m tall). I have no idea if gaining 2kg in muscle in 2-3 months is possible for me or not. Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Gym Bunny

It's difficult to say. Given that you've done a bit more weight training than before, I would say quite a lot of it could be weight training related. In three months, it's very easy to gain 2kg of muscle mass, and so it might be that all of it is muscle. In fact, you may even have gained 4kg of muscle and lost some fat mass, that's how difficult it is to tell.

The only way to really know this for sure is to have a full body composition assessment done, but that's expensive and can be inaccurate and maybe misleading. My advice is to not worry too much about the one or two kilograms, and rather focus on whether you are getting fitter and stronger. If you are, then you should be pleased with the changes, unless you feel that you're getting much bigger and starting to bulk up too much.

But yes, it's possible to gain 2kg of muscle in three months, quite easily.