Question
Posted by: LJ | 2010/09/15

Weight training &  heart rate

I train 6 days a week alternating between cardio and weight training. When doing lower body, I find my heart pounds away especially when doing things like lunges, leg press and squats (As if I had been sprinting). I try and do 3 sets of 10 increasing the weight each time. Am I overdoing it?

I do not have a heart rate monitor.

Just curious

LJ

Hi LJ

No, I don't think so. Those sessions, especially the active time, will be short, so there's no problem being at a high heart rate. It probably has to do with being upright and working against gravity. Usually, weight training will not get your heart rate up as high as cardio, and I suspect it is not in this case either, but your blood pressure will go up.

So maybe don't push so heavy that you are lifting your BP too much - you don't need to strain like an Olympic weightlifter to get good results. If you are having to strain in the neck and face, then it's probably quite heavy, and if you are doing 3 sets of 10, then that's probably a bit much.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/09/20

Hi LJ

Reply to fitnessdoc