Question
Posted by: T | 2011/02/02

weight training

Dear doc

i am, as most people, trying to loose weight and am doing that by following a healthy eating plan, spinning twice a week, and training in the gym about 3 to 4 times a week. the gym training comprises 15min stair climber, 15 min treadmill and weight training. i am however only loosing about 300gr a week. my question is with the weight training do i go light with high reps or heavy (which i am currently doing and enjoy) with fewer reps (12, 10 and 8).
what can i do to optimise weight loss?
Thx

Hi Tamaryn

Better to go light with high reps for your goal. I also would not worry too much about the weight - no matter how you do it, you will increase lean muscle mass, and so even if you're losing fat and succeeding, you'll still find that your mass doesn't change too much.

So I really would not worry about the scale - if you're getting fitter, you're getting healthier, and the weight will take care of itself!

Oh, and remember that diet is absolutely vital. You can train all you want, but if you don't eat well, then it can be in vain!

Ross

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/02/11

Hi Tamaryn

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: lady | 2011/02/10

Hi. Light weights high reps will help you lose weight and cut. Heavy weights low reps you will buildmuscle. Rember muscle weighs 7x more than fat. So you may be building muscle. Let them take your fat % at the gym, so that you can see that you are loosing the weight and replacing it with muscle. I have not lost a single kg but have lost 6% body fat in my 14w. Good luck

Reply to lady