Posted by: MDee | 2010-08-30

Weight training

Please clarify an issue that I have with weight training. Should one train the following muscles seperately?.....or can one combine all of these. Also CARDIO. Is it OK to push the heart rate high and low frequently while exercising? I think they call that interval training.

Thank you for all your wonderful advice. Your input has indeed been of great value to me.

Hi MDee

Most people combine them. That is more practical than anything, because it allows a day of recovery, whereas if you split them, you have a mix of upper and lower body. But there's not hard and fast rule - some people are doing Olympic-lift style training, where you train both legs and upper body in one lift, and that works very well too. So the answer is whatever is most practical for you, not a rule that says one way works more effectively than another.

Re the cardio, it depends on your goal. Interval training is good for fitness, and performance, and it's a really effective way to maximize training time, if it's limited. But it's tougher, so not something for everyday, so you might alternate days like that with days of lower intensity, constant exercise. Again, it depends on the goal from training, but generally, some interval training is always helpful, regardless of whether it's for weight loss, fitness or performance.