Question
Posted by: MDee | 2010/05/25

Weight training

I am 71 yrs old male and have been gym training for a number of years. For the past year I have been with a Personal Trainer. Upper body once a week, lower body once a week and cardio twice a week.
I recently experienced vision problems and went to see an eye specialist. He diagnosed that the 6th optic nerve in my right eye had stretched. He sent me for an MRI and all was clear. He said that I should leave it for a month and see whether it corrects itself , otherwise an operation will be needed.

My question is, could it be the weight training that I am am doing that could have caused the problem? There is obviously a strain when lifting weights.

MDee

Hi MDee

I've never heard of this, and I can't see how it would happen as a result of weight training. I am assuming you're doing what is a normal level of training, not feeling like you're about to explode while lifting?

I honestly don't believe the weight training is the cause, but I say that without any specific reason to other than I've never heard of risk or of this happening before. There is strain, yes, but the body is more than capable of handling it.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/05/25

Hi MDee

Reply to fitnessdoc