Question

Weight questions

I am on a balanced diet. I just have a few questions:

Popcorn
What is the GI of popcorn? If I air pop the popcorn, how much can I eat (how much is one portion)? Is it a healthy snack?

Oats
I make Jungle Oats on weekends. I use milk and water to cook the oats. What would the GI be? Would it help if I let it cool down and then reheat it?

Pita bread
Is it okay to use pita bread? Is one pita bread considered as 2 portions?

" Roosterkoek" 
When we have a braai on the weekends I usually make some " roosterkoek"  using about half a cup of cake flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and water per person. Can I eat one cake as 2 portions of carbohydrates?

Thank you.

Dear Anon
The GI of popcorn is low. A portion is usually considered to be 30 g. It is a healthy snack with a high fibre content, provided you don't add lots of butter and salt. Cooked Jungle Oats are classified as high GI, but adding the milk will probably lower the GI a bit. The cooling down and reheating effect is basically applicable to maize meal, but it may help with oats. Pita bread is fine and one would probably equal 2 portions of bread. The same applies to the 'roosterkoek'.