Posted by: Tracy | 2013-01-14

Weight problem

Hi Doc,

Iam a 32 year old female, 1.7m tall, I weigh 101kg. Yes i''m obese my BMI is over 30. I try to eat right. I jog for 5km every morning, i drink 2 - 3litres of water a day but with no luck of losing weight.

What is it that iam not doing right? Please help as this is starting to depress me.

Dear Tracy
Because you would need to lose 29 kg to get back into the normal weight range with a BMI of 25, I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
The dietitian will have to assess your food intake and help decide if you need to be tested for hormone imbalances such as insulin resistance, thyroid malfunction and/or female hormone problems. She/he will also suggest a balanced slimming diet. If you find that this conservative approach does not help with your weightloss, then it may be advisable to consult the Call Centre of the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or visit their Website at for contact details to find out more about bariatric surgery such as the placing of an intragastric balloon, etc, to assist weightloss. Also discuss this option with the dietitian.
I do hope that you will now start losing weight.
Keep up the good work with the exercise.