Question
Posted by: Helesti | 2011/11/08

Weight plateau

I have never been a breakfast eater, until April this year when my doctor told me I have low blood sugar and need to start eating regular meals. I started doing this and of course picked up some weight. Then, at the beginning of May, I quit smoking, which of course lead to more weight gain. Since all of this happened I have picked up 7 kgs and I cannot seem to loose it. I exercise (cardio for 35 min 3 times a week and strength training twice a week with a stability ball) I have been exercising for at least 4 months now.The cm''s are slowly coming off, but the moment I stop being so pedantic about what I eat, I pick up weight. And the fact that I am constantly hungry isnt helping!! What can I do, or should I just stop being so obsessed with the wieght and go see a dietician?

Dear Helesti
Because you suffer from low blood sugar and have been picking up weight, I would recommend that you do consult registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia), and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low-fat, low glycaemic index (GI). Also click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.
The fact that you are doing such excellent exercise is wonderful and this will also help you to lose fat (as shown by the reduction in cm), so keep up the good work.

1

Dear Helesti