Question
Posted by: Angela | 2012/05/14

weight plan and diabetes?

Hi Doc, I have recently helped my mom with a Healthly Lifestyle challenge to loose weight. Not a diet... just healthier eating like cutting out/down sugar, fat, bread... not mixing protein and carbs, taught her about good vs bad carbs etc etc

Since she has been eating better (and has already lost weight), and she says she feels better for eg since she has changed her diet, she hasn''t needed to use a single Rennies or Eno (something she used to use daily)....

Along with all the above, she has had to decrease her insulin dosage (she said she''s gone from 35 to 15, and still experiencing low counts when checking)
Is this a good thing or could this plan I have her on be detrimental?

Dear Angela
If you have assisted your dear Mom to lose weight and thus reduced her need for using medications including insulin then you must be on the right track. If in doubt, let your Mom consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assess the plan you have introduced your Mom to and explain if any of the principles are potentially dangerous.

1

Dear Angela